NY Writers Coalition Inc. (NYWC) empowers and enriches the lives of New Yorkers of all backgrounds and experiences through the art of creative writing.
Participants in our free and low-cost writing workshops in New York City become part of a community of peers, present their work publicly through NYWC’s readings and publications, and connect with broader audiences. Our workshops are particularly targeted toward underserved people, including youth, seniors, women, LGBT communities, people living with disabilities, people who are incarcerated or have been incarcerated, and others from traditionally silenced groups.
Writing and sharing their work with others in a safe atmosphere of respect and acceptance, NYWC’s writers discover the power of their own stories, gain confidence and a stronger sense of self, and become part of a creative and socially conscious community. We encourage creative writing as a long-term practice in the lives of our constituents, developing an audience and recognition of individuals’ artistic and personal value. We believe that everyone has a voice and a story and that the world is a better place when we respect, deeply listen to, and honor all of its citizens.
- Everyone is a writer, regardless of prior writing experience and formal education.
- Through encouragement and support, people grow as writers and artists.
- In the value of the uniqueness of every individual’s voice.
- Each person’s experiences are a source of strength and power as a writer and an artist.
- In creating and maintaining a non-judgmental, open and respectful community where everyone is encouraged to support and listen to each other and to take risks and grow as writers.
- Each person, through writing, can shape and influence the lives of others.
- We can achieve social change by providing access and opportunity for all writers, regardless of race, ethnicity, class, age, gender, sexual orientation and physical ability.