NY Writers Coalition Inc. (NYWC) provides free creative writing workshops throughout New York City for people from groups that have been historically deprived of voice in our society. We also publish our workshop participants’ writing and organize public readings of their work. Writing with others in an atmosphere of respect and acceptance, participants discover the value of their own stories, gain confidence and a stronger sense of self and become less isolated from themselves and from society. By creating a community of writers and leaders from diverse backgrounds, we galvanize the voices of the marginalized and create opportunities for all writers to connect with the larger community. NYWC’s goal is to create an inclusive city, one that is aware of the diversity of voices within it and honors the lives of all of its citizens.
- Everyone is a writer, regardless of prior writing experience and formal education;
- Through encouragement and support, people grow as writers and artists;
- In the value of the uniqueness of every individual’s voice;
- Each person’s experiences are a source of strength and power as a writer and an artist;
- In creating and maintaining a non-judgmental, open and respectful community where everyone is encouraged to support and listen to each other and to take risks and grow as writers;
- Each person, through writing, can shape and influence the lives of others; and
- We can achieve social change by providing access and opportunity for all writers, regardless of race, ethnicity, class, age, gender, sexual orientation and physical ability.