The Narrator, NY Writers Coalition (NYWC)’s arts and social justice blog, is looking for volunteer editors and contributors to create content that focuses on the topics important to the NYWC community of writers and activists. These include the Arts, race and gender equality, education and prison reform, LGBT issues, homelessness, rights of the disabled, veterans’ issues, and immigrants’ rights among others.
Each week, The Narrator features art and literary reviews, profiles on social activist, inspirational ideas for writers, and original creative writing prompts to use on your own or while writing in groups. Like NYWC, The Narrator encourages voice and equality for all. As The Narrator enters its second year, we hope to build a staff of volunteer editors and contributors to work with NYWC staff to generate and diversify blog content.
We currently do not pay for content but offer an excellent opportunity to gain online writing experience while contributing to a strong social justice writing community. Positions can be filled remotely, and applicants need not reside in New York City.
- Editor Positions: Arts Editor, Writing Prompts Editor, Events Editor, Social Justice Editor
- Contributor Positions: For Arts — Contributors may specialize in books, film, photography, theater, etc. For Social Justice — Contributors may specialize in individual issues, such as gender equality, education, race, LGBT, etc.
- Contribute one monthly feature to your section
- Curate and edit a minimum four contributors’ posts per month to assigned section
- Post, edit, and proofread contributors’ posts
- Oversee and provide relevant art, graphics, and links for section’s content
- Conduct outreach to guest contributors
- Provide 2-3 posts per month aligned with The Narrator’s arts and social justice mission
- Provide relevant art, graphics, and links for contributed content
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and research skills
- Experience writing for a blog or other digital platform
- Incredible attention to detail
- Works well independently and remotely; self-motivated, reliable, and can meet deadlines
- Proficient with WordPress (or willing to learn)
- Dedication to NY Writers Coalition’s mission