NYWC currently provides free ongoing long-term weekly creative writing workshops throughout NYC. Through partnerships with various social service organizations we operate a Youth Writers Program and the below Adult Writers Program workshops for diverse groups of unheard New Yorkers. Our writers also participate in our readings and events, including the annual Write Makes Might, and the Writing Aloud Reading Series, and their work is published in our online literary journal, Dig Deep, and in NYWC’s high-quality books.
Justice Writing Program
- Rikers Island, Rose M. Singer Center: Workshop for women in jail.
- Stay N Out/Serendipity: Residence in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, for formerly incarcerated women seeking substance abuse treatment, operated by NY Therapeutic Communities.
Health & Wellness Program
- Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library: Workshop for visually impaired in branch of the New York Public Library in Chelsea.
- CIDNY: Center for Independence of the Disabled, Manhattan, services for people with physical and mental disabilities.
- Creative Center: Workshop at arts center in Manhattan for people living with cancer.
- NY Presbyterian Psychiatric Unit: Two workshops for inpatients in acute care in Manhattan hospital.
- Port Morris Wellness Center: Workshop in a community clinic for patients undergoing treatment for opiate abuse/dependency on methadone maintenance. Clinic is South Bronx outpost of the Division of Substance Abuse of Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
- 14th Street Y- Educational Center for Retired Adults: Two workshops for older adults, center operated by The Educational Alliance.
- Isabella Geriatric Center: Workshop for seniors at a geriatric and rehabilitation facility in Manhattan’s Washington Heights section.
- Prime Time: Workshop for older adults at Emmanuel Baptist Church in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn.
- SAGE: Two workshops at Manhattan community center for GLBT elders.
- VISIONS: Workshop for blind seniors in a residence for the blind and visually impaired in Manhattan.
- Center for Family Life: Spanish language workshop for Coalition of Cooperatives participants.
Community Drop-In Workshops
Are you working on a memoir, poem, or story and looking for some friendly feedback? Maybe you just want to put pen to paper and see what happens. Join NY Writers Coalition for a free, drop-in writing workshop available to the general public. These writing groups are open to writers of all genres – poetry, fiction, memoir, and anything else – and even to those who think they’re not writers! Writing supplies will be provided, so just bring yourself. No advance sign-up is necessary. Writers of all backgrounds, genres, and experiences are welcome.
CURRENT DROP-IN WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
Mondays @ 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. & 3:00-5:00 p.m.
Wednesdays @ 6:30-8:00 p.m. beginning April 15
Click here for information about NYWC’s Workshop Method.