NY Writers Coalition (NYWC) provides free and low-cost creative writing workshops throughout New York City to people from groups that have been historically deprived of voice in our society. By creating a community of writers and leaders from all economic backgrounds, races, ages, and sexual orientations, we encourage people to gain confidence and a stronger sense of self, find and expand their voices, and discover the value of their own stories. Learn more here.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Prior experience facilitating or attending writing groups
- A demonstrated history of community involvement
- Facilitation, leadership, or teaching experience
- A commitment to and understanding of NYWC’s philosophy of creating a respectful and positive atmosphere for writers of all backgrounds and levels of experience
- Flexible availability
- Ability to commit to leading an ongoing weekly workshop
- Interests and passions that align with NYWC’s programmatic needs
NOTE: We are currently seeking applicants who are interested in writing with youth, writing with seniors, and/or have flexible daytime schedules.
About the Position & NYWC Workshop Training
Volunteer workshop leaders are required to participate in our extensive training and support program before leading NYWC workshops. Accepted applicants are expected to:
- Read Pat Schneider’s Writing Alone and with Others
- Complete 20 hours of NYWC Workshop Training over four days
- Plan and execute one NYWC Practice Workshop before his/her formal workshop placement
- Attend quarterly meetings with NYWC staff and other workshop leaders
- Maintain regular contact with NYWC support personnel
- Complete any necessary paperwork for his/her workshop in a timely manner (Example: monthly attendance reports)
- Because supporting each workshop leader requires a great deal of resources, workshop leaders are asked to commit to leading his/her weekly NYWC workshop
Application Info Sessions
*All applicants are required to attend one of two info sessions at NYWC’s Fort Greene office before the application deadline. Please consider this before applying.
- Wednesday, July 27 @ 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 10 @ 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Training Dates for Spring 2016
*Attendance is required for all training sessions! Dates include:
- NYWC-style workshop Friday,October 14 @ 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Workshop Leader Training Saturday, October 14 and Sunday October 15 @ 10-00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Admin training Wednesday, October 19 @ 7:00-9:00 p.m.