This fall, NYWC will have another round of Workshop Leader Training and we want writers and activists like YOU to apply and lead the charge in this transformative work. Whether you live in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island-your passion to build a community, provide a safe space and get the voices of others heard throughout the city is what we’re after. Overall, if you have a passion for writing, social justice, feel encouraged to apply!
NY Writers Coalition (NYWC) provides free and low-cost creative writing workshops throughout New York City to people from groups that have been historically deprived of voice in our society. By creating a community of writers and leaders from all economic backgrounds, races, ages, and sexual orientations, we encourage people to gain confidence and a stronger sense of self, find and expand their voices, and discover the value of their own stories. Learn more here.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Prior experience facilitating or attending writing groups
- A demonstrated history of community involvement
- Facilitation, leadership, or teaching experience
- A commitment to and understanding of NYWC’s philosophy of creating a respectful and positive atmosphere for writers of all backgrounds and levels of experience
- Flexible availability
- Ability to commit to leading an ongoing weekly or biweekly workshop
- Interests and passions that align with NYWC’s programmatic needs
About the Position & NYWC Workshop Training
Volunteer workshop leaders are required to participate in our extensive training and support program before leading NYWC workshops. Accepted applicants are expected to:
- Read Pat Schneider’s Writing Alone and with Others
- Complete 20 hours of NYWC Workshop Training over four days (See dates below.)
- Plan and execute one NYWC Practice Workshop before his/her formal workshop placement
- Attend quarterly meetings with NYWC staff and other workshop leaders
- Maintain regular contact with NYWC support personnel
- Complete any necessary paperwork for his/her workshop in a timely manner (Example: monthly attendance reports)
- Because supporting each workshop leader requires a great deal of resources, workshop leaders are asked to commit to leading his/her weekly NYWC workshop for at least 9 months.
*Attendance is required for all sessions.
- Friday, November 15 @ 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Saturday, November 16 @ 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Sunday, November 17 @ 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, November 21 @ 7:00-9:00 p.m.
Applications are now closed. Thank you!