This Spring, NY Writers Coalition will have another round of Workshop Leader Training and we want writers like YOU to apply and lead the charge in this transformative work.
This Spring, NY Writers Coalition will have another round of Workshop Leader Training and we want writers like YOU to apply and lead the charge in this transformative work. For this round of training we’re looking for individuals who are invested in amplifying the voices of immigrant communities. We’re also looking for people who are passionate about supporting the voices of those impacted by the criminal justice system.
Whether you live in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens, or Staten Island, your passion to build a community, provide a safe space, and get the voices of others heard is what we’re after. If you have a passion for creative writing and social justice, feel encouraged to apply!
NY Writers Coalition (NYWC) provides free and low-cost creative writing workshops throughout New York City to people from groups that have been historically deprived of voice in our society. By creating a community of writers and leaders from all economic backgrounds, races, ages, and sexual orientations, we encourage people to gain confidence and a stronger sense of self, find and expand their voices, and discover the value of their own stories. Learn more here.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Prior experience facilitating or attending writing groups
- A demonstrated history of community involvement
- Facilitation, leadership, or teaching experience
- A commitment to and understanding of NYWC’s philosophy of creating a respectful and positive atmosphere for writers of all backgrounds and levels of experience
- Flexible availability
- Ability to commit to leading an ongoing weekly or biweekly workshop
- Interests and passions that align with NYWC’s programmatic needs
About the Position & NYWC Workshop Training
Volunteer workshop leaders are required to participate in our extensive training and support program before leading NYWC workshops. Accepted applicants are expected to:
- Read Pat Schneider’s Writing Alone and with Others
- Complete 20 hours of NYWC Workshop Training over four days (See dates below.)
- Plan and execute one NYWC Practice Workshop before his/her formal workshop placement
- Attend quarterly meetings with NYWC staff and other workshop leaders
- Maintain regular contact with NYWC support personnel
- Complete any necessary paperwork for his/her workshop in a timely manner (Example: monthly attendance reports)
- Because supporting each workshop leader requires a great deal of resources, workshop leaders are asked to commit to leading his/her weekly NYWC workshop for at least 9 months.
*Attendance is required for all sessions.
- Friday, March 20 @ 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Saturday, March 21 @ 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Sunday, March 22 @ 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 25 @ 7:00-9:00 p.m.
*Learn more about the position (even before applying). Email our Program Director firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP to one of our two info sessions. Attending an info session is mandatory for all who are applying. All info sessions will take place at our office on 80 Hanson Pl (between S Elliott Pl & S Portland Ave), Suite 604 in Fort Greene, Brooklyn.
Tuesday, January 28 @ 6:30-8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 11 @ 6:30-8:00 p.m.